Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Haz A Plan

This post is actually appearing in tandem with my other blog, mainly because I haven’t touched either for a while, and this topic is relevant to both. The issue at stake (mmm, steak) right now is my writing; since the beginning of this semester, what little writing I was doing has slowed to a crawl, but I think I’ve figured out a way to get back on that horse, thanks to technology. Thank you, technology horse.

Anyway, after prepping for courses, teaching those courses, and then evaluating students’ work from those courses, the motivation to write has been beaten right out of me. I wallow in shame at my lack of stamina; however, while the flesh is weak, the mind is still strong and willing. Well, willing anyway. Between blogs, new short story ideas, and The Novel, I’ve usually got quite a few narratives bouncing around in my head—so many that I often find myself thinking, Oh crap, what the hell was that idea about that thing that came to me the other day? The irony in this is that I’ve publicly boasted my habit of not jotting anything down, because if it’s a strong enough or good enough idea, then it’ll “stick,” but my brain has lost its stickiness. It’s like one of those window-crawling toys I had as a kid that lasted approximately half a dozen trips down the window before it just bounced off the glass and landed on the floor every time I threw it. No more sticky. Gone.

So I had to dig down into that crispy decrepitude and figure out some way to get past this, uh, this dry spell (ba-dum bum, crash!). After taking a quick inventory of tangible and intangible assets, I’ve devised a plan based on the resulting list which consists of:

  • 6 hours of commute per week (more to come by the end of October),
  • 1 laptop with relatively long battery life,
  • 1 earpiece headphone w/microphone,
  • 1 voice-recognition software application,
  • 1 word processing software application,
  • 1 audio recording software application (should the previous list item crap out on me).

Using my drive as writing time seems inevitable. My collection of podcasts and audio books is dwindling, and lately I’ve noticed my thoughts wandering off from whatever happened to be playing anyway. Focusing those thoughts on talking through my stories should be the ticket for making progress on this stalled creativity, even if I’m doing something as trivial as filling plot holes, talking myself through character profiles, or even dictating stupid blog posts.

Expect progress reports—probably on the other blog. This one will probably be filled with the stupid dictated posts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You listen here Erik Hanson I am not so good with English but I will tell you two things you must know: 1) you owe me seven American dollars for unspecified services and B) this vodka is weak and not good.

I like reading your posts. it reminds me how much i used flkjnf cncjn

stupid puppy

things are not so good here betweeneen chasing bears for nickels and training monkeys to play the dances.

Bah, i spit on your dlnf f fnlkd nkf

i miss you terribl y much.

i fell off my shoes.

vodKA!