Friday, November 21, 2014

Some pithy comment about how I'm back, or something.

I'm not sure where to begin, wading through this practically defunct blog to figure out whether or not I want to keep it going, or make the decision to retire it for good.  I suppose the fact that I'm typing anything here at the moment means I'm leaning toward giving this blogging thing on the interwebs another shot.  My last post was back in 2011, so what has happened since then?  Well...

I taught college English courses and was settling into quite the hermit lifestyle in Iowa, and then, in December of 2012, an old friend who had moved to California contacted me to let me know she'd be back in town and wanted to catch up.  I got a text when she arrived, asking if I was doing anything and wondering if I wanted to get together that day.  That day marks the beginning of the end of my hermitude (hermitage? hermitude sounds better), because she convinced me to give San Diego a try, and so in August of 2013 I sold, gave away, and/or packed all my belongings and drove west, getting married in Las Vegas along the way.  As I write this, we're planning a move back to Iowa, and it's bittersweet, to be sure--six years as a Californian for her, and only a little over one year for me.

California has been fun, but circumstances have arisen which made this move the right choice for us.  It's best to avoid bringing up the topic of Iowa winter to Alyssa, but we're both eager to see family and friends, not to mention the cost of living expenses, which are dirt cheap compared to out here.  There are more details on our time out here, and I'm sure some of them will show up in future posts, but I shouldn't get too ambitious with this blogging thing, or I may just sprain something on my first run out of the gate.

Oh, and I have tan lines on my ankles that look like I'm wearing short white socks when I'm actually barefoot.

More later...

No comments: