Saturday, January 12, 2008

Notify next of kin.

I'm a few minutes away from being picked up to head to a remote acreage a couple hours south of here. It belongs to a couple friends of ours, and it's about to house a postponed New Years/solstice party comprised of a handful of some of my oldest friends. Considering it's an acreage, we will be sufficiently far enough away from civilization, which means that this could end up being a weekend from which legendary tales spring. I understand that there will also be some excellent scenery shots on the way, so I decided to bring my camera. I wasn't going to at first, mainly because it seems that everyone gets rather annoyed when they get their pictures taken in full party mode. I can't say that I blame them. So that said, I doubt I'll have any pictures to document the occasion, but you never know.

I also had to pass this oddity along. I have quite a bit of music and an iPod, so obviously iTunes seems to be the appropriate application to use. Well, I got a sexy new computer a few weeks ago with some funds that had originally been budgeted for other priorities that never came about, so I used them to treat myself. Oh man, it's got an AMD dual core 64 bit processor, a 400GB hard drive, and 3GB of RAM. It's unbelievable how fast this thing is, and believe me, I've been pushing it trying to test its limits. I haven't found them yet.

Oh, sorry, back to what I was saying. So I took the 120GB SATA drive with all my music on it out of my old desktop and dropped it into the new hotness, then changed my iTunes settings accordingly to import all the music into its library. Because of this new level of performance available to me, I've started using the visual setting that scrolls and displays the album covers along with your song listings. As I listen, I'll import an album cover here and there, finding that sometimes iTunes isn't all that accurate. I happened to try to retrieve the album cover for Megadeth's Hidden Treasures, and I got this.



I did a search on this album, and all I found was what appears to be Heavy Eric's website, which I've honestly been a bit too afraid to really dive into. This is just the latest in a long string of borderline surreal things that have popped up these past couple weeks.

I kinda hope it keeps up, because I think I'd be really bored otherwise.

2 comments:

Scott Behrends said...

that's almost Megadeth! ;-)
nice computer! i bet it's sweet for audio editing compared to your laptop!

Erik said...

You know, the funniest thing is that I haven't even really messed with that yet. I have started to mess with video a bit, and that's where the processing drag really happens anyway, as you're already aware.

What's really sad is that I'm planning on using my old linux machine to do the bulk of my writing for school now, so I have to force myself to get used to it. In fact, my dual install desktop hasn't seen XP running on it for more than a few hours in the last month. Geeking feels good!