Tuesday, January 29, 2008

This brand of pain tastes so sweet to me.

Well, it's looking like I got too busy and won't be able to hit the goal I'd set for myself; to match my posts for 2007 by the end of January. I made a decent show of it though, considering I've made over half. The past two nights had all the intention of writing something, even had a mental outline of some things I wanted to talk about. This was all after doing my reading for the day, so really what happened was me catching up on emails and then spacing out pretty hardcore for the following hour or so.

I was sort of hoping that tonight would find me enjoying a couple martinis, but I procrastinated too long on things I had to do today. That, and my martini buddy, I assume, was understandably hesitant to go out in the subzero temps (made even more butt cold by the 25-30 mile per hour sustained winds) even for one of my tasty homemade drinky treats.

There's something I've noticed about reading all the short fiction I've been blazing through lately; since the days are spent in roughly the same manner, it feels like the semester just started yesterday. I mean, there hasn't been really very many significant events that have made marking time easy for me. However, the head full of stories gives me this ghost impression like I've watched tons of movies and television, or that I've had the sudden resurgence of memory from past lives that belie more activity than has actually taken place. I can't help but wonder if my two years of grad school will all be like this, and then I'll just wake up one day and realize that I have to make a choice between the next step up with a doctorate, or scrounging for a job. On the other hand, I'm starting to suspect that my timing couldn't be better, considering I'll have only one full school year in this Master's program sandwiched between a semester and a summer. That should give me a bit of time in there to stretch my rubber brain. Maybe even get some traveling in. I have been a bit obsessed lately with the idea of a motorcycle; I could see a nice summer road trip on two wheels with a tent and sleeping bag strapped to the back as I disappear until I feel like being found again.

I think maybe I'm just tired and I'm rambling on my keyboard in lieu of someone here in the flesh to puke out my stream of consciousness to.

Poor, poor keyboard.

No comments: