Friday, May 7, 2010

Most of my socks are of an inferior quality.

I graduated. I graduated and got my foot in the door for some teaching experience, which is great, because now I've got a lead on something that could turn into the job I retire from. Until then, I'm existing, and by existing, I mean getting by with rent and bills on adjunct pay--good for a while, but not the best situation for saving or having any sort of life. Oh wait, I didn't really have a life anyway. That's a relief.

Anyway, I had one of those moments today where something went my way in a big way. I had student health insurance through the health center on campus, and once I graduated and tried to cancel the policy, I was told my transcripts would be sent on to the billing office and to just sit back, ignore the bills, and let the paperwork run its course. Since then, I've been getting statements with a steadily increasing sum printed in the "amount due" box, and the most recent have included friendly notes threatening me with all sorts of spooky credit mojo that would haunt me. They apparently have no idea that I've already been haunted, and the first time is the scariest. Not so much anymore. I finally got tired of it and left a message telling them my name and a reminder that I graduated way back in December, and I seem to recall saying, "Fix this, please," before hanging up.

I received what looked like another bill today, but the envelope felt a bit thin. There was only one sheet showing a lump sum credit and a lovely "$0.00" in the amount due box. Maybe it was only a drop in the bucket, but every little bit helps. And it felt like I'd won the lottery.

3 comments:

Kelly L said...

I think the sight of "Amount Due: 0.00" is one of the most glorious things to ever behold.

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

Erik said...

Ja wohl, das stimmt. Vielen dank für die freundliche Wörter, und nach eine schwierige Situation mit mir passiert, bin ich automatisch ein Fachkundiger.