Thursday, May 27, 2010

We are doomed.

Here's proof.



Crying. Because of a reality show.

To see someone so emotionally invested in a storyline, in a narrative arc, is something I'd trade my left pinkie toe for as a writer (assuming the reaction is due to my work). I'll go so far as to admit that sure, American Idol offers a pseudo-storyline. We* love to rise up as a nation and jeer the delusional and talentless during the initial rounds of auditions--which, by the way, introduced the world to William Hung; a person who is apparently famous despite a distinct lack of talent. You know, like Paris Hilton (too easy). We also love to clear our schedules so we can vote in real time for who stays and who gets the boot.

I get the psychology. It's the same (dis)associative qualities you'd see in a die-hard sports fan, someone who wins when their team wins and loses when they lose. I like to think I can hold a tune once in a while but can also recognize how out of my league I'd be in that crowd. I hate that this video doesn't feel like an atypical response to something that, at base, doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme. Sure, some of the contestants will get the chance at a career and some suits in the music industry will pad their pockets a bit more, but who really gives a shit? Don't tell me; I think I already have a good idea what the answer is.

Call me curmudgeonly (don't call me Shirley), but I'd much rather spend my time watching a movie or series with heartfelt writing and stellar acting. Even if there are elements bordering on outrageous, I want my disbelief to suspend itself without knowledge or effort by me. The transition should be natural.

Based on the very few times I've seen American Idol, not much of it feels natural to me. Maybe that's my problem.

*If you disagree with my view of American Idol, then the "we" means "you." If you agree, then it means "they."

EDIT: The owner of the original video, unsurprisingly, took it down and broke my link. Rather than fire off another rant about general lack of critical analysis, I'll just say that once a video is public, there's a very good chance it will always be public, because someone else has posted it for everyone to see. Welcome to the Internets, noobs.

1 comment:

klkt said...

I see that this video is available on the main page at msnbc.com, so this particular loyal Bowersox fan is nationally known. Great clip -- my favorite part is when the guy over on the sofa offers a bit of "I tried to warn you" comfort. He's delightfully calm throughout the whole hissy fit.